Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
  Home Print this page Email this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size Users Online: 78  
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2021  |  Volume : 20  |  Issue : 1  |  Page : 54-60

Outcomes following I-131 treatment with cumulative dose exceeding or equal to 600 mCi in differentiated thyroid carcinoma patients


Department of Radiology, Division of Nuclear Medicine, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand

Correspondence Address:
Dr. Chalermrat Kaewput
Department of Radiology, Division of Nuclear Medicine, Faculty of Medicine Siriraj Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok
Thailand
Login to access the Email id


DOI: 10.4103/wjnm.WJNM_49_20

Rights and Permissions

To evaluate treatment outcomes following radioactive iodine (RAI) treatment with a cumulative dose of ≥≥600 mCi in differentiated thyroid carcinoma (DTC) patients, a retrospective review of medical records was done in 176 DTC patients with a cumulative dose of ≥600 mCi from January 1993 to December 2013. All patients were followed up for at least 2 years after receiving 600 mCi of I-131 treatment. Remission criteria were no clinical and imaging evidence of disease and low serum thyroglobulin levels during thyroid-stimulating hormone suppression of <0.2 ng/ml or of <1 ng/ml after stimulation in the absence of interfering antibodies. A total of 176 patients were included in the study: 137 – papillary thyroid cancer, 29 – follicular thyroid cancer, 9 – mixed papillary and follicular thyroid cancer, and 1 – Hurthle cell carcinoma. Most of the patients (118, 67%) had locoregional metastasis, whereas 48 patients (27%) had distant metastases at presentation. The median cumulative dose was 900 mCi (range: 600–2200 mCi). The mean follow-up period was 82.84 ± 42.41 months. Only 16 patients (9.1%) met remission criteria at the end of treatment. The rest of patients (160, 90.9%) were not remitted: stable disease in 94 (53.4%), at least 1 metastasis without I-131 uptake in 34 (19.3%), progressive disease in 21 (11.9%), and death during the whole follow-up period in 11 (6.3%). Two patients (1.1%) developed second primary malignancy. Eighteen cases were suspected of bone marrow suppression (14 cases [7.9%] had anemia and 5 cases [2.8%] had neutropenia). Seven patients (3.9%) developed permanent salivary gland dysfunction. Although the complications after receiving RAI treatment with a cumulative dose of ≥≥600 mCi were low and not severe, the patients with remission were in <10%. Our study suggests that the decision to administer further treatments should be made on an individual basis because beneficial effects may be controversial.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed310    
    Printed20    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded37    
    Comments [Add]    

Recommend this journal