Home About us Editorial board Search Ahead of print Current issue Archives Submit article Instructions Subscribe Contacts Login 
  Home Print this page Email this page Small font sizeDefault font sizeIncrease font size Users Online: 277  
ORIGINAL ARTICLE
Year : 2016  |  Volume : 15  |  Issue : 3  |  Page : 179-183

Can ultrasound predict malignancy in patient with thyroid cold nodule?


Department of Nuclear Medicine and Molecular Imaging, Dr. Hasan Sadikin General Hospital, Universitas Padjadjaran, Bandung, Indonesia

Correspondence Address:
Joko Wiyanto
Jl. Pasir Kaliki No 192, Bandung - 40161
Indonesia
Login to access the Email id


DOI: 10.4103/1450-1147.174704

PMID: 27651738

Rights and Permissions

Thyroid nodule is one of the most common endocrine diseases in the world; it occurs in 4-7% of the general population. Depending on the method of discovery, 4-8% nodules are discovered using palpation, 10-41% with ultrasound (US), and 50% through autopsy where only 20% or less of cold thyroid nodules are caused by cancerous lesions. The aim of this study was to assess US as supporting modality for thyroid scintigraphy to predict malignancy in patient with thyroid cold nodules. In a retrospective study between 2009 and 2013, we analyzed 399 subjects with cold thyroid nodule, where 39 subjects (36 women and 3 men) presented with malignant thyroid cold nodule and 19 subjects underwent US. The US showed malignancy parameters in 8 (42.11%) subjects, while the rest of the 11 (57.89%) subject were benign. Out of all the subjects who underwent US in this study, only 8 (42.11%) subjects shown malignancy characteristics in cold thyroid nodule with  papillary thyroid cancer (PTC). That means US parameters of malignant thyroid nodule do not always show up in malignant cold thyroid nodule.


[FULL TEXT] [PDF]*
Print this article     Email this article
 Next article
 Previous article
 Table of Contents

 Similar in PUBMED
   Search Pubmed for
   Search in Google Scholar for
 Related articles
 Citation Manager
 Access Statistics
 Reader Comments
 Email Alert *
 Add to My List *
 * Requires registration (Free)
 

 Article Access Statistics
    Viewed3394    
    Printed47    
    Emailed0    
    PDF Downloaded252    
    Comments [Add]    
    Cited by others 1    

Recommend this journal